City wants to develop the Main which would include expropriations of businesses that say they are doing fine and would like to stay on and be part of a rebuilding process. No matter what your tastes are the corner of Saint Catherine and Saint Laurent is the crossroads of the city where many generations of new Montrealers first walked up the hill.
While everyone agrees the area could use some sprucing up not everyone is in favor of sweeping demolitions that will eradicate the spirit of the street. Can you say Disney?
RED ALERT! Coalition des Artistes du Cabaret Cléo is the name of a group determined to fight the city and it’s developer friends over a demolition of blocks around Saint Lawrence and Sainte Catherine.
This is from their Facebook page.
NOT WITHOUT US!
Together for the revitalization of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent in the Quartier des Spectacles de Montréal!
– recognition of the existence and preservation of the rights of the Coalition of Artists of the Cabaret Cleopatre who currently work in the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent of the Quartier des Spectacles de Montréal
– develop the strengths of the Coalition of the Artists of the Cabaret Cleopatre together with the soul and the arts of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent in the Quartier des Spectacles de Montréal
– integrate the participation of the Coalition of the Artists of the Cabaret Cleopatre in the project of reconstruction and revitalization of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent in the Quartier des Spectacles as presented by the SDA (Société de Développement Angus).
Our approach aims to:
– PRESERVING THE SOUL AND THE ARTISTIC APPROACH working steadily at Cabaret Cleopatre since 2004,
– ENFORCE OUR ASSETS in synergy with the effort to revitalize the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent in the area designated as the Quartier des Spectacles,
– ENGAGE DIRECT AND POSITIVE COMMUNICATION with the SDA as well as various corporate, cultural and heritage levels, that govern the site,
– INTEGRATING AND PROVIDING AN ADDED VALUE to the project of reconstruction and revitalization of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent in the Quartier des Spectacles as proposed by the SDA,
– ASSURE THE SURVIVAL AND GROWTH of the artistic movement and this, together with the mission of the District of Red Light of Montréal,
– A temporary relocation plan defined by the SDA in accordance with the various corporate, cultural and heritage levels, sites that govern so as to maintain the existing working conditions with the Cabaret Cleopatre,
– The relocation plan must consider any loss of enjoyment of the premises (Cabaret Cléopâtre) both in terms of space and practice space and for free expression of alternative art,
– The relocation plan must also consider the social impact on the hundreds of people who regularly attend various shows and events that are presented,
– Rehabilitation of artists in the new development of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent will be done quickly after the end of the work and with working conditions and enjoyment of the premises (Cabaret Cléopâtre) equal to or greater than those existing,
– Stakeholders governing places (SDA, bearings corporate, cultural and heritage) will allocate an equitable and fair compensation to ensure the survival of the Coalition of Artists Cabaret Cleopatre.
– Human: respect for the soul, desire, creativity and free expression of art of the artists of the Cabaret Cleopatre currently working in the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent
– Moral recognition of acquired rights and cultural heritage for the artists of the Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent, people who pursue their profession and clients who meet there,
– Social: reconciling the cultural vocation of the Quartier des Spectacles and the construction of a building designed primarily for administrative concerns.
– Support of the public
– Media attention,
– Our commitment to artistic expression,
– Our creativity and our will to participate actively to the revitalization plan of Quadrilatère Saint-Laurent
Who we are?
– The Coalition of the Artists of the Cabaret Cléopâtre and supporters.
■ Club Sin (60 evenings, 125 shows, 200 artists)
■ The Travesty Theatre
■ The Burlesque & dancers
1230 St-Laurent blvd., 2nd floor / 2ème étage
The petition and a lecture of memorandums will be held Tuesday June 9th, 7pm at Hôtel Holiday Inn Select, 99 avenue Viger W. (corner St-Urbain), Place-d’Armes metro
You can consult and sign an online version: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/spectacles/