One of Montreal’s coolest neighborhoods just got some bad news.
Bailiffs delivered some harsh news to some tenants near the Turcot Interchange this weekend in the form of expropriation letters.
Last fall, Transports Quebec announced it would expropriate the 100-unit building at 780 St. Remi St. to make way for the new Turcot Interchange.
At that time, some demonstrators argued there was no need to displace the tenants, while second opposition councillor Richard Bergeron devised a plan for the Turcot that would save the building.
Demolition is still in the plans.
Tenants were told Saturday they have 15 days to appear before an administrative tribunal to discuss their compensation for the move. They must be out of their lofts by next spring or summer before the building is demolished.
“There’s only 15 days to show up in court, so that’s rushing me a little bit,” said tenant Fredrika Wellet, who spent about $10,000 renovating her loft into a fashion photography studio, where she has lived for the last year.
Some of the tenants say they attended a meeting with representatives of both Transports Quebec and the City of Montreal last fall, where they were promised help with moving and to be put at the top of the list for subsidized housing.
A spokesman for Transports Quebec told CTV Montreal that in the next few days, each tenant will be visited by an evaluator to find out what compensation they may be entitled to.
“Once I know what they’re offering – or what I could ask for – it will make it more clear,” said tenant Bruno Zinno.