Turcot won’t be available for long. There are hardly any cities in the world capable of doing this project – who has that kind of land empty so close to the city center? Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?
Archive for the ‘Maps’ Category
Here is a map of the eastern side of Turcot Yards from 1913.
A- Montreal Park & Island Railway(1885-1911).
Interesting that they had a facility right there in the middle of the Grand Trunk Railroad’s Turcot Yards and the Canada Car & Foundry complex. Not a lot of information right now beyond that it serviced Montreal-Nord, Outremont, Cartierville, and Lachine. Was also the first local transit company to issue rolls of 5 detachable tickets at a discount in 1908. It closed in 1911 so maybe the name was still on the building for this mapmaker?
B- Vaillant Park.
Approximately. Some confusion here with Byron street which may never have actually become a regular street. And later the middle street would become Bourassa. And we end up today with De Carillon running down to Notre Dame where Byron was (smile). It also looks like they had zoned lots right into the Falaise Saint Jacques above Pullman. But maybe what we see there today is actually landfill that was put in with the building of the Turcot Interchange?
A lot of changes here beginning with all those streets- Clovis, Victor Hugo, St. Omer, Stephens, and Beattie that stopped existing at some point. Doesn’t 4th Avenue seem kind of random and out of whack? Today James Lyng High School is roughly at Victor Hugo and Notre Dame. I really want to know how wide/deep that river was. A contemporary map here.
D- Saint Paul Locks
Easy to forget that there was a lot of these “side canals” along the Lachine Canal. The grand old Canada Malt Plant in pink at the right was pretty much brand new in those days.
E- The Turcot Roundhouse 1906-1962. The largest roundhouse in the world.
F- Riviere Saint Pierre, or Little River Saint Peter, ran through the middle of Turcot Yards. Not sure what year it got drained or covered and/or diverted. If anything it served as a handy border between NDG and Ville Emard.